Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Personal Learning Goals

I still remember the first day in St. John's having an interview for an ESL replacement test. I was asked to talk about one of my favorite books. Coincidentally, I had been reading Steve Jobs' biography and kept the book in my backpack -- very awkward though. I took it out and talked about how this book has inspired and encouraged me to pursue a career in education -- "I wanna be Steve Jobs in education," I said in the end.

I've been expecting for technology class for a long while, and very excited I get to equip myself with more cool and practical weaponry. My personal leaning goal for this class is to figure out a better, sensible way to incorporate those up-to-date, easy-to-access technologies into ESL classes, especially how to apply and popularize those approaches and ideas in my home country China, where ESL education is  lack of efficiency and is always blamed for its stale teaching style.

I myself am a big beneficiary of how technology has affected  and extended learning, and I always feel amazed how social media and  cellphone applications can magnetize educational activities . Education is evolving -- more clicks than bricks. With the popularity of MOOCs (massive open online courses) and the availability of online degree programs at a fraction of their on-campus price, we are experiencing an exciting experiment in higher education. I want to follow this suit, and make a deal with traditional classroom and online technology-based education.


Leaning English has become a mania for decades all over the world, particularly in China, which probably is the world’s largest English-speaking country. With the huge demands, ESL pedagogy, however, is still in its infancy, and creative teaching has rarely been encouraged or paid attention to. So, I want to identify and explore more strategies and concepts in this area, and make my future classroom engaging and lasting.


**********

Here’s a TED speech talking about “English mania”, which could be an epitome of how most Chinese learn English. http://www.ted.com/talks/jay_walker_on_the_world_s_english_mania?language=en




3 comments:

  1. Great blog entry Eric. It's great to hear about your goal to be the Steve Jobs of Education, I think it is essential that we have a large vision of what we want to accomplish with our lives. During my challenging goal of entering school again after the military I would read a lot of motivational books. I would always look for someone who had achieved the same goals I had in mind and emulate what they did in order to accomplish them. It has really turned my life around these past few years.

    Your link to the TED talk was very interesting. As a native of China did you also begin your Education in the English language at the 3rd grade? Also, did you take the important 3 day test? if so, what opportunities becomes available to those who earn a good grade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I also believe the power of reading and thinking.

    For your questions: In my generation(I'm 24), I started having English classes at third grade. Now I think students started learning English as early as they are still in diapers. I'm unfortunately lucky that I dropped out of high school, so I didn't take the giant test, which really is a shame for me.

    The opportunities out of scoring high are, as far as I think, finally you can study and explore what you're interested -- before college, basically everything is preparing for get admitted to a prestigious university. Same thing as being admitted to an Ivy League, you stand a good chance to land a plush job and build up your connections. As China has built an awful number of universities and economy has boomed for the past decades, scoring high doesn't guarantee a good future any more, it has turned to be a ticket for the game. Besides, a high score can make your parents proud and enjoy compliments from all your relatives. Otherwise, you'll suffer the stigma and hardly get rid of it. In one sentence, education is a way to change your life, however, in China, the road is extremely narrow and crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric,

    I really enjoyed your entry. I think its great that you want to be the Steve Jobs of education. You have the determination and therefore the power to do so. I also enjoyed reading that you plan on taking everything you learn to China in order to benefit the ESL classrooms there. Its great to see that through one class, the knowledge taken will be spread worldwide, not only in the US.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete